My proudest moment was being awarded the RCSLT Sternberg Award for Clinical Innovation for developing a Feeding Clinic with a Dietetic colleague
Working in partnership with parents & other professionals & making therapy “real & relevant’ and speedy access to a service when required is the cornerstone of my therapy
Communicology was set up by Ruth (Howes) to offer a functional communication approach to assessment & therapy planning.
In my NHS career I was priviliged to be work, over time, with a wide range of children with communication difficulties. I’ve held a wide range of Leadership, Service Development & Clinical Management roles. Alongside my leadership I always maintained a clinical caseload at a specialist level.
You will find me on the HCPC* Register as P Ruth Howes. (The P stands for Patricia).
My Masters (MA) is in Professional Training & Development. This links with my practice around training parents and carers in delivering therapy strategies in the ‘real world” of play and daily life.
Expert Clinical Roles:
- Clinical Lead for SEND … Special Educational Needs with a specific interest in Early Years & Primary settings
- Principal SLT for Schools Service & Manager of a Paediatric Service
- Serving RCSLT** as a Specialist Clinical Adviser for over 25 years. This role involves providing support for other therapists nationally in ASD, Complex Needs & Managind Services in Educational Settings
- Clinical Lead for Social Communication Difficulties (ASD)
- Specialist clinical skills in Developmental Language Difficulties, Complex Needs, Profound and Multiple Learning Disabilities, Bi-lingualism
- Involvement in setting up a Multi-Professional Joint Assessment Clinic for children to consider a diagnosis of ASD. Working alongside Paediatricians, Child Pychologists & Psychiatrists
- Stammering/Fluency is an area where I developed specialist skills 8 years ago.
- Working in and setting up the provision for a Designated Special Provision for children with ASD in the North of England
- Clinical Team Leadership/Co-ordinatation of Integrated Therapy & Nursing Service (SLTs, OTs, Physios & Special School Nurses)
Developing Communicology: Consultancy Practice
After working in the NHS for 34 years I made the decision to take early retirement. This involved re-locating to France. After 6 months strengthening French language I missed therapy. I;ve realised it is possible to offer an innovative practice via Teletherapy. The ASHSA* evidence is increasing around the efficacy of ‘online’ therapy.
This Teletherapy Practice is very much based in what is technically termed the ‘interactionist’ and ‘consultative approach’. Those clinicians who qualified in the mid 1980s pioneered the approach away from the clinic room into everyday life settings. This was the ‘out of the broomcupboard and into the classroom’ approach of Sue Roulstone. Hanen was evolving around this time.
I have over the years acquired skills in Teacch (Mesibov), PECS, SCERTS, Makaton, Alternative & Augmentative Communication & numerous other postgraduate short course approaches.
The first step is always a conversation. My approach may not be your choice. Some families prefer a direct, behavioural approach. In an informal conversation I can ascertain if the therapy approach I offer is what you need.